Wednesday, February 22, 2012

They Gotta Want It...



Over the years, every since I began doing the work that I do (which is to help people). I have had a personality that comes in handy sometimes, but also leads to a lot of disappointment.

You are probably wondering what kind of personality am I talking about? I'll tell you. It's the desire to help everyone without really addressing the reality that they've gotta want help.

My elders and superiors have always told me, that you can not help everyone. They always say "some people just don't want help". But to be honest with you... I would always think in my mind, there's gotta be a way to get through to them ALL. Someone has got to be able to say the right thing or do the right thing to get through to every or anyone. But boy have I been wrong.

This past year has been one of the greatest eye openers for me. Why, you may ask? Because I have faced some of the greatest disappointments consecutively that I have ever experienced in the years that I have been doing this work. I have literally seen so many people that I gave more effort than I would have given to a blood relative to help, and they just gave me (and the One I serve) their backside to kiss.

I tell you, this stuff hurts. Not in an emotional way, but in a deep felt why-won't-they-listen-when-I-know-this-will-turn-out-bad kinda way. It is really hard to deal with. Especially, when you gave months or even years trying to help that person, and thought they were accepting it and getting better and then they just show you the true them.

If you've never experienced it, then you wouldn't understand.

But what it has taught me is that I can't take each case so personally. I mean, I have to give my best for each person, but I can't take it to heart if they choose not to listen. Everyone is free. And you can not help someone who doesn't want help. That is just a reality. If they want, then you can help them, if they don't, there is no way it will work.

This the conclusion that I have had to come to, and it is hard, but necessary. We will always try. I will always try. But each person has to decide for themselves if they want to listen or not.

More on this next post...

6 comments:

  1. I have gone through this, and felt this way when trying to help a youth. I gave all my time, patience, and everything I could do for them. And having feeling that way when they turn their backs...hurts.
    Really want to read the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it...

    'You cannot help those who don't want it.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you can't, but you know what thank God for the ones that accept even thou you want to out reach and save as many.

      Delete
  3. This brings to mind the phrase "Many are called, but few are chosen." It seems to me that the ones who earnestly listen, obey and apply these life changing lessons taught at SILC are the ones that God has now chosen to fight the greatest fight! Satan knows his days are numbered and God has hand selected his warriors. The ones He knows will remain deeply rooted in His word, are willing to go through any trial or tribulation, any persecution, give any sacrifice to be victorious in this great battle and continue to love every step of the way. I truly thank God for the spiritual leaders (and their mates) Like you and Elise who are still ready, willing and able to look for, find and bring back to the fold that one lost sheep. May God continue to strengthen, empower, anoint and embrace you all. THANK YOU both for caring. I for one TRULY TRULY am grateful and appreciate your heartfelt efforts, for I once was lost but now I'm found!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi pastor please respond back to my comment I will be looking for your response in this blog,

    I dont want to ask the pastors in my church becuse im too embarrase to ask


    this is my question:

    Will God send me to hell, if it's his will that I go to the alter and I dont want to? entering that posibility is what scares me that I may have to give my life in that way

    I'm scared that God will want that for me, but I dont want that.

    P.s like Im super terrified of going to hell, I have nightmares of when Jesus comes and am like paranoid when i hear sounds that sound like trupets but I need to know if this entering this possibility is what i need to accept in order to receive His Spirit

    Lisa*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, not everyone is called to serve on the alter. I can't tell you whether you are or not. But no, God is not going to send someone to hell for not wanting to serve on His alter. Everyone has a choice. If you want to serve in a different way, it is up to you. You can not try to live out anyone else's dream for your life. What may be good, is if you ask God to show you what HIS WILL is for your life. That is what matters. I didn't want to serve in the way I do now either, but no one forced me. He Himself, put the desire in my heart to do it. And so I am what I am. But you have to choose, and ask Him to reveal to you what He wants for and from you. Now on another note, this fear that you have is not a good thing. You may need to look a little deeper at WHY you feel this fear of going to hell. I don't know your life, but is there any other reason for feeling this way? If it is simply a misunderstanding of Gods word, let me make it clear... You are saved by FAITH in Jesus. Not by how good of a person you are, or what title, role or position you hold. But if you know something is in the way of your salvation, then you need to deal with that. That, I must say, you need to search deeper and discover. Any further questions, feel free to email me at damien@shouldabeendead.com.

    ReplyDelete